Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Being a fan

Well, with the Hawks having a bye week this week, there hasn't been much to talk about. So I'm going to drift away from the regular Hawk Talk and talk about something different: what it means to me to be a fan. I'm a fan of many sports teams. They include the Kennedy Cougars (obviously), the Iowa Hawkeye's, the Minnesota Vikings, the Chicago Cubs, and occasionally the LA Lakers. But I've been coming across a problem lately. I'm seeing that I'm sort of a fairweather fan. Now when it comes to Iowa basketball and football i will always be a good fan, but with the other teams my expectations are a little high. As i was growing up and i really started to watch sports, my teams were doing very well. Much above their previous standards. The cubs almost went to the world series in 2003 and that gave me the image that they were a very good team. I expected that from them almost every year but when it didn't happen, i lost interest in them. That is until this year when they were candidates for the world series champion's. But once they lost, i found that I again lost interest in them and don't have much hope for them as a team. The same happened with the Viking's when they were the favorites for the super bowl in 2000 and they collapsed in the NFC championship game. I am still a fan, but a very undedicated one and when they lose, i just sigh and look the other way. The only team i still truly root for is the Hawkeye football team. I have grown up honoring them and being proud of them as a symbol for the state. They've never been a total powerhouse, but in the last 6 years have had a very good campaign and this keeps me hopeful for them: maybe one of the only reasons i'm still a fan of them.

No comments: